Monday, January 5, 2009

1st playdate with the Chambers


Yippee! House arrest is over! Our pediatrician advised us to stay away from young children until Audrey was 3 months old because it's pretty serious if a baby that young gets sick, even with a common cold. A fever of 100.4 means a trip to the children's hospital at that age. We decided to have her 3 month birthday a few days early and visit the Chambers today. I've had cabin fever ever since Chris went back to work after his paternity leave. I'm so used to being around people. As much as I love being with Audrey I miss spending time with people who can actually talk back (although she just started to coo and it's adorable!). It really hit me how much I needed to reconnect with the world when I found that going to the post office and standing in a long line was exciting for me. How sad is that! I think I need a big "L" stamped on my forehead.

Today we visited my close friend Christy, her husband Eric, and their kids Molly (age 3) and Owen (almost 2). I've watched her kids grow up, so I've really missed this time away from them. Molly understood that I was having a baby. When I was pregnant she used to look into my belly button to "see" her. She also used to yell at her through my belly button. She would tell her to "Hurry up and come out and play!". Christy was the photographer for the pictures below, so there aren't any shots of her. I'll get her next time!

Our former student, Pegah, also came by to visit with the kids. Whenever she's home from college she tries to see us and it's always much appreciated. Unfortunately, Audrey slept through her visit, so we'll get her next time too.

Here's Molly on her best behavior with the new baby.


Audrey took an immediate liking to Eric.

Eric, Owen, Molly, and Audrey. Eric is playing the role of the protective father to make sure nobody bops her on the head.

Molly was very gentle with Audrey. She loved stroking her cheek and the top of her head.

Now Molly's the protective one!


The kids finally got to open their Christmas presents from us.

Here's Owen playing with his new wooden nesting dolls that look like tree frogs. The kids would come to my house every few weeks while I was pregnant and too exhausted to go anywhere. Although I already had a bunch of toys that they could play with, they always ran straight to my nesting dolls. It always shocked me how they remembered playing with them and knew exactly where I kept them, even though there were put away and out of sight. I hope they like these just as much.

Molly did really well with this wooden alphabet puzzle that forms a butterfly. She already knows the ABCs. She'll have this puzzle mastered in no time.

When Audrey got tired and cranky the kids went to watch some TV in Molly's room. The two of them are practically inseparable. Too bad Grandma Dora was trying to take a nap :-)

Molly reconnected with her old swing and Owen pushed her.
Audrey was glued to her first Dora the Explorer cartoon. If I'm not careful it looks like she might be a TV addict like her mom!

Molly did a great job holding Audrey. She was very sweet with her.

Thankfully, Owen shared his crib with Audrey. She slept for 6 of the 9 hours we were there. She rarely sleeps that much during the day, so it was a surprise. For almost another entire hour she lay awake staring at their mobile. She was absolutely fascinated by it.

We had a really nice visit. Obviously, Audrey's too young to get much out of a playdate, but Molly and Owen seemed to really enjoy seeing her. It still surprises me how much toddlers love to see babies. Every time we go to a store we come across at least one toddler that points and shouts "Mommy, look! A baby!". I'm always nervous about going to new places with Audrey and trying new things, but going to Christy's house was great. She had the crib, changing table, wipes, baby monitor (with video- ooh, la, la!), and she doesn't mind hearing a baby fuss. Oh, and she clips nails like a pro. I also know that when I go to her place there will always be dinner on the table so I go hungry! I'm sure we will be regular visitors and I look forward seeing our kids grow up together. Christy has always been a good friend to me and has been my "go to" person throughout pregnancy and beyond. Although we have now both left our jobs teaching to take on this new job of motherhood, I think hanging out during the day while our husbands are at work might start to feel a bit like our old summer vacations...we'll just have to replace movie theaters with trips to the park. The mall shall remain non-negociable. Speaking of...I need get over there and buy some new shoes. Pre-pregnancy I wore a shoe size 8-8.5. Now I'm a 9 and none of my shoes fit! We better have another "playdate" ASAP because it's getting cold and the crocs aren't cutting it anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment