Friday, February 6, 2009

Sleeping milestones

It's funny how what I consider to be big accomplishments in life are completely different now. Audrey is sleeping in her own room now and I'm overjoyed. I figured I'd transition her to her room at 4 months. I got a whole bunch of sleep books because I anticipated problems, but it turned out that it just kind of happened without any fuss. (I'm sure experienced mom's are having a hearty laugh at me as they read this! Gimme a break, I'm new at this!)

Chris has been pretty sick for the last week so Audrey and I have been avoiding him. I started sleeping in the guest room and I put Audrey to sleep in the crib in her room for the first time 3 nights ago. The two rooms are right next to each other. The first night she woke up every hour, but the last two nights she left me along for six hours straight then went right back to sleep after nursing. When she didn't fall asleep immediately, I put on her U2 Lullaby CD and that did the trick. I really liked having her near me in her bassinet at night. It was convenient for feeding and I confess that I'm more than a little attached to the kid. But she was outgrowing it and I can't help but want a little alone time (even if it is when I'm unconscious).

The other big achievement is that I stopped swaddling her. I don't know how this happened either. She used to wave her arms around and smack herself in the face. She'd lay there forever, irritated, but would fall asleep the instant she was swaddled. She fell asleep on the couch the other night (I know, bad mommy) so I left her there unswaddled and she was fine. Then I moved her to the crib and she was still fine. I do still wrap it around her waist and legs sometimes just for a little extra warmth. Sweet victory!


Asleep on the couch, just like mommy!

Taking a little snooze. Yes, I know it's not the crib. That's later :-)




She was peaceful and facing me until the flash lit up the room. Oops!
She loves her rainforest mobile, but I can't turn it on when it's time to sleep. She gets overly excited looking at it. She kicks her legs so hard that the crib shakes.
Phew, she got over the flash.

I'm really happy with this audio/video monitor we bought. We keep it in the living room. It also has a normal handheld audio receiver that I keep in the bedroom. It's nice to see her whenever we want. She has a little camera near her crib that looks like a webcam. It's even infrared. Best $100 we've spent so far. Well...after the swing.

My view from the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment