Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Conversations with a Toddler

Amber and I are still processing pictures from the Christmas break.... I'll put some up shortly.

In the meantime, I figured I'd entertain you with random funny things Audrey says these days.


  • If Amber is sleeping in on a Saturday morning, Audrey will ask "Where Nunner go?" and exclaim "I found you Nunner!" when Amber wakes up.

  • I think her longest sentence to date is still "Where old car go?" when we rode in the Odyssey the first time.

  • The other day I caught her stuffing her toy Dinosaur into a magazine rack saying "I hiding". Indeed, she hid it so well we both forgot where it was for a week.

  • Spontaneously she'll say things like "I luh you, daddy". This is often accompanied with a back rub.

  • When I was sick over Thanksgiving, I remember coughing in front of Audrey. Afterwards she patted my back and asked "Ok, daddy?"

  • Grandma Karen got her a doll house that has a little family of dolls. She understands that one doll is the "Nunner" and one is the "Daddy" and so on. One time she was playing with the child doll and the Daddy doll and recited the following conversation:
    Child: "I stuck!"
    Daddy: "I help you!"

  • She's easily excited about food. For example:
    Amber: "Honey, do you want some cheese?"
    Audrey: "Yeah, chi! I luh chi!"
    Unfortunately her enthusiasm is often just lip service, and she ends up not eating the food after all.

  • On the topic of food, here's two other Audrey words:
    cummer = cucumber
    ah-ju = apple juice

  • It's funny how sometimes her broken English employs unintentional satire. Yesterday I took her jogging and she made fun of me the whole time. She'd ask "ok, daddy?" when I got winded and mimic my panting with her own deep breathing. Then there's the occasional "you did it!". The worst, of course, is "good girl!".

1 comment:

  1. Hi My name is Audrey too and I remember how much i loved hearing my son's (now 20 and 23)"english" gibberish! Video as much as you can as you do forget how adorable they sound. The video's are some of my most precious belongings. Congrats on your newest! I love my name and hope your Audrey lives up to our name and what we accomplish with honor and kindness!! Check out www.huggeemissyou.com because your kids will love and you will see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete